Tuesday 16 December 2008

The Little Things in Life/Next on the Hit List

Phew! Well it's a day later than planned, but considering my past performance, I'm very chuffed I have finished a combat squad before my frustratingly slow painting speed driven me to despair! Anyway, below is the completed combat squad which will form part of Tactical Squad Laurentius (1 figure away from a ten man squad, how annoying!).





I've taken the time to paint these marines how I originally intended, and will be going back to my previous miniatures to bring them up to scratch. New details are as follows:
- These units are from the 4th Company, Angels of Fortitude. To show this, the company number is now emblazoned onto the chapter symbol of each shoulder pad.
- Each Marine's suit of Power Armour is as much an ancient and revered relic as it is an item of protection. Heroic deeds are chronicled by the artificer to be proudly worn alongside the discipline and Chapter symbols. These are seen as the italic script on the shoulder pads.
- Purity Seals. More a slap on my own wrist - whether these are Oaths of the Moment (See Horus Heresy novels), or Purity Seals; there would very well be something written on them! I had a previous habit of leaving them blank (abet shaded), which unless the battle brother intending to use it for autographs from the Command Squad, wouldn't make much sense.

And now we just need someone to lead this happy bunch of Warrior Monks!
Considering I am currently aiming for a 500pt army, I felt that the large cost of a Captain wouldn't allow me to tool him up effectively without seriously impacting the rest of my list, so I have decided to go with a more cost-effective solution of a Librarian:



I've always had an affinity for Ezekiel of the Dark Angels - his hooded cloak and proud banner for me best captured the visage of mystery and reverence the Librarians commanded. What I've done is made a small alteration to the figure by replacing his Force Sword model with the mighty blade from the Company Champion, while using the Banner from the Captain sprue in place of the old paper-banner Ezekiel used to don. As you can see, I've just to finish stripping the last of the old paint off him (God bless Fairy Power Spray!), and will then have something meaty to crack on with over the holidays - wish me luck!

3 comments:

Gamers World said...

Good luck and I like the model.

Admiral Drax said...

Mike - these look great - nice one!

- Drax

The 25mm Warrior said...

Great highlight job! Smooth. Very Effective. I bet those look stunning on the field